Wednesday, March 30, 2011

OPENING DAY- PREDICTIONS & EXPECTATIONS FOR 2011

Less then 12 hours from now the Atlanta Braves will begin there quest for deep playoff run in 2011. I know Philly is getting all the hype in the National League East But I really like the makeup of this Braves team. They are young in some areas- but they have major talent. Iam still concerned about Chipper Jones even though he killed it in spring training. I do think Nate Mcclouth will produce decently this year. I expect Freddie Freeman to struggle some as all rookies do butyou cant deny the power this guy has. The offense shouldnt be a burden as much as it was last year for us and the pitching again will be the power of this team. I think Philly will do good this year but pound for pound the Braves pitching depth is better, the relief core is better, the overall offense is better- and the Braves  starting 5 can match up with phillies in a 7 game series. I think Philly and Atlanta will go down to the last 3 games of the season. I think the Braves will suprise and impress many people in baseball this year and win the division- and I think they are strong enough to go to the world series- if they stay healthy.  They are my world series pick from the national League- I think they will win divison by 2 games and I think they will beat philly in playoffs- but it will not be easy by any means.. what do yall think???

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan, I have to agree that the Braves match up with anyone during the regular season. I think they are definitely good enough to win the division. However, it remains to be seen if we can win a playoff series. Pitching wins in October and I'm sorry if we have to face the front 4 of the Phillies rotation with Doc Halladay twice and Cliff Lee twice, I'm not sure we will win. We are definitely better in the pen and a deeper lineup, but that's the stuff that matters during the regular season, not in the playoffs where starting pitching becomes paramont. There just isn't a large enough advantage for winning the division as it should be. In the divison series it should be first two games at home, one game on the road and the final 2 at home for the team with the best record and then 3/2/2 for the league championship series. This would give the team with the best record a more distinct advantage and actually reward the regular season rather than making the playoffs a crap shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES I agree- the braves havent won a playoff series since 2001-that has to change. I think Bobby Cox bein retired will help with that- his decisions over the years no doubt about it cost us some wins in the playoffs..Phillies have a great starting rotation. But Cliff Lee and Holladay are both beatable to me. I think the Braves rotation gets highly overlooked due to the fact of what Philly has. Starting pitching is the name of the game - I think Braves starters match up very well vs philly in a playoff match up. But Philly would be favored because they have the 2 ACES in LEE and Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think any pitcher on any given day is beatable. The Giants beat the Phillies last year with a weaker team than the Braves have this year. The Braves just have a 3 #2's a solid #3 and we'll see how Beachy pitches. We have a deeper lineup, especially wihtout Utley. The Braves just need to have a good season and get really hot late. It seems that October is soley based on who's hot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your last comment was right on-the Giants got hot at the right time- most time the winner of the world series isnt the best team in baseball its the team who got hot at the right time. The playoffs is about 3 things- pitching, good defense and getting timely hits. Against the Braves The Giants got a big hit almost every chance they neeeded to- the Braves were always that one hit away from breaking out- the Braves pitched pound for pound with the Giants. Its about match ups as well- The Braves matched up very well vs the Giants last year but if they had beaten San Fran and had to face Philly they would have gotten beat- its funny how things work out. I like Beachy he impressed me alot down the stretch last year always going up against the Phillies.It was hard for the Braves to carry momentum into playoffs last year because the injuries just killed them and in Playoffs Wagner getting injured was icing on the cake- I think going into the last 3 games of season vs Philly this year could benefit the Braves so much- get that momentum and ride it into playoffs on hot streak and pull a Giants in 2011

    ReplyDelete