Sunday, April 10, 2011

MY THOUGHTS AFTER BRAVES FIRST 10 GAMES

 The Atlanta Braves are  4-6..It  is  still   way  to  early  to  be concerned-baseball  is  a  long   season BUT I can  say that Iam dissappointed in the way the Braves  played vs Philly. The  pitching  has been  great-I  feel bad  for  Derek  Lowe-he has  pitched great in his 3 starts this  year   but  only   has  one win to show for it. The Phillies have suprised me   how well  they have  started the season   offensively scoring  7  runs a  game-the Braves offense has been the opposite-so far they have not had the big hits or the big innings.You have to  tip your hat to Roy Oswalt for his preformance saturday and Cole Hamels  pitched  great sunday.

The  Braves offense  will  come  around Iam confident in that. I think Freddi  Gonzalez  should try shaking  things up  a  little bit- move  Mcclouth down  in  the order-give Eric Hinske a start at  first  base.I think Freddy Freeman will  be good  eventually  but  Im not   suprised  one  bit  by his struggles. I  have been presently suprised with  Chipper Jones- he really  looks  good. I would  love to  see the  Braves be  more   agressive manufactoring  runs. In the home opener Friday  night the Phillies  stole  3  bases in the first inning-thats  more steals   then the Braves  have for the season..The best teams in baseball have speed and know  how  manufacture the runs. The Braves  for  the  last  20  years have never done that-and I believe thats why the only   have one Championship to show for it. Thats a  big reason why Nate Mcclouth  is so  important to  the Braves  this year. He has  great speed but hes not  hitting  to  get on  base  to   steal some. The  Braves offense would  be  so  much  better if we had those guys who  could  get on and steal   bases- but  they sit back and wait for the 3 run  homerun   and it doesnt come often enough. Iam   fully confident that Dan Uggla  will  come  around and produce for us.Its still way to early to  panic but  losing 2 of  3 to  the Phillies in the home opening  weekend  was dissappointing.The Phillies out pitched,out hit,out ran and  did everything the Braves didnt do  to win 2 of 3 games.I hope to see different results starting Tuesday with Florida.

4 comments:

  1. Jordan, I will agree for the most part. I suprised by the Phillies offense, but I believe that it will flatten out. The Braves have a very deep lineup and will get there.

    I firmly agree that they need to do a better job manufacturing runs. Heyward can run, McLouth can run, but so far it hasn't happened. I would still bat Freeman 7th rather than 8th.

    This is where not being a player in free agency kills us. What is the one position that we lack skill and depth at? Left Field. Who was the best left field of our generation on the market? Carl Crawford. Imagine our lineup with him there. Again, I really like Uggla. I believe he is one of the best offensive 2B in the game, but I still believe that we were in a position to get more than what he offers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not overly surprised by the Phillies. They are generally a championship-caliber team so it is common for teams like that to come out firing quickly. I am, however, impressed by the amount of double digit scoring games they've had so far. Ouch...

    I kind of like the batting order the way it is. The middle part of our lineup is a real monster. Who in their right mind wants to pitch against Chipper, followed by McCann, Uggla, Heyward, and then Gonzalez? I would think no one. Freeman is kind of week in the #8 spot but I can live with it because of what he brings defensively. Pretty impressive glove and arm for a 1st baseman. Prado and McLouth are cool with me leading things off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUSTIN- I AGREE with you- I do think Philly offense will cool off and will struggle- I dont think its as good as it has been so far..

    Mcclouth runnin isnt somuch the problem its him hitting and gettin on base thats the issue. You cant steal bases when your not on base.Im not too crazy about Heyward stealing alot of bases due to the fact he seems like he gets injured easy.

    I honestly think Crawford is overrated- hes hitting like .135 in Boston. I didnt want him in Atlanta. Hes a good player but not as good as he got paid. The braves could never afford him.Uggla will hit I promise you that- and his defense has been good thus far. I like him but I do believe the Braves should have made effort to upgrade the out field as well. Martin Prado will be good left fielder my issue is when Chipper gets hurt - because we know he will and Prado has to move to third base- who plays left field???

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Watercooler- I think overtime Phillys offense will slow down because I think Utley being out and Werth being gone is too much to overcome- but your right the numbers they are putting up right now is nuts.. I cant see it staying like this thought. I think Phillys offense will cool off and the Braves will heat up.

    The middle of the lineup is good but when your top part of lineup isnt getting on it doesnt help the middle of the lineup to produce and knock guys in.I dont like Nate in the 2 hole- he just sucks to me- he needs to be moved down. I dont know why you put in there but Nate isnt getting on base enough. I do believe Freeman will come around and start hitting hes just young right now and is still learning.

    ReplyDelete